Subtitle: In spite of several Biblical prohibitions against "adding to", or "taking away from" Scripture, the Roman Catholic Church has changed the Ten Commandments, eliminating one commandment!
As we were perusing a Roman Catholic Bible, bought from the famous La Sallette Shrine in Attleboro, Massachusetts, we discovered something very interesting, yet very disturbing. Within the Bible, in the exact middle, actually, this Bible had several full pages with key teachings on each page. These teachings were as follows:
1) THE GOOD SHEPHERD PSALM -- taken from Psalm 23
2) THE TEN COMMANDMENTS -- "Adapted from Exodus 20:2-17, and placed in this order by St. Augustine"
3) THE MAGNIFICAT -- Luke 1:46-55
4) THE SEVEN SACRAMENTS -- As Below
Baptism -- Matthew 28:18-19
Confirmation -- Acts 8:14-17
Holy Eucharist -- Matthew 26:26-28
5) IN HOLY SCRIPTURE -- As Below
Penance -- John 20_22-23
Anointing of the Sick -- James 5:14
Holy Orders -- Acts 14:23
Matrimony -- 1 Cor 7:10-11
6) THE BEATITUDES -- Matthew 5_3-10
7) THE LORD'S PRAYER -- Faith, Hope, Charity, Temperance, Justice, Prudence, Fortitude (Also called The Our Father, or the Ideal Prayer. It asks for seven Christian Virtues. Matthew 6:9-13)
["Holy Bible: The New American Bible, Family Edition, Translated from the Original Languages with Critical Use of All the Ancient Sources and The Revised new Testament Authorized By The Board Of Trustees of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and Approved by the Administrative Committee/Board of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and the United States Catholic Conference, Catholic Bible Press, a division of Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville.
THE NEW AMERICAN BIBLE
NIHIL OBSTAT: Stephen J. Hartdegen, O.F.M., S.S.L., Christian P. Ceroke, O. Cerm., S.T.D.
IMPRIMATUR: +Patrick Cardinal O'Boyle, D.D., Archbishop of Washington
July 27, 1970
THE REVISED NEW TESTAMENT
NIHIL OBSTAT: Stephen J. Hartdegen, O.F.M., S.S.L.
IMPRIMATUR: +James A. Hickey, S.T.D., J.C.D.
Archbishop of Washington
August 27, 1986
NIHIL OBSTAT: Rev. Marion Habig, O.F.M.
IMPRIMATUR: +Most Rev. Cletus F. O'Donnell, J.C.D.
Administrator, Archdiocese of Chicago
1967 -- Enthroned Bishop of Madison, Wisconsin
1988, Thomas Nelson, Inc.
First, let us list the Roman Catholic Ten Commandments
1. I, the Lord am your God ...
You shall have no other gods beside me
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath Day
4. Honor your father and your mother
5. You shall not kill
6. You shall not commit adultery
7. You shall not steal
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house
"Adapted from Exodus 20:2-17, and placed in this order by St. Augustine"
Now, let us examine the actual Biblical Ten Commandments [Exodus 20: 1-17]
1. "I am the LORD thy God ... Thou shalt have no other gods before me".
2. "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."
3. "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."
4. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates"
5. "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."
6. "Thou shalt not kill."
7. "Thou shalt not commit adultery."
8. "Thou shalt not steal."
9. "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
10. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's."
Now, when you carefully compare the Roman Catholic Ten Commandments with the true Biblical Ten Commandments, you immediately see the difference. Commandment #2 is eliminated altogether, while the True Commandment #10 is divided into 2 commandments so that the Roman Catholic Commandments may stay 10 rather than being so obvious as to number only 9!!
This is truly blasphemous!! Why would the Roman Catholic Church want to eliminate True Commandment #2? Why, it is obvious, is it not? Let us reprint this True Commandment #2, so we can the more easily examine it.
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." [Exodus 20:4-6]
As you can see, when the Roman Catholic Teaching eliminated this commandment, they eliminated three (3) whole verses! Not only that, but they eliminated the only verse which talks about how jealous God is whenever anyone makes a graven image of anything, being human or animal or natural object, and then prays to and/or worships that graven image!! Obviously, if Catholics, starting with young Catholics, were taught this commandment, they would naturally question praying to statutes of "Saints".
The St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism lists the Ten Commandments in just this way. Of course, they try to justify praying to saints as saying that such prayer does not constitute "worship", or veneration due to God alone.
A lot of ambiguity may be cleared up when we examine the definition of the word, "worship", from my Webster's Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary. Listen to the official definition:
" 1. The reverent love and allegiance accorded to a deity, idol, or sacred object; 2. A set of ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed; 3. Ardent devotion; adoration" [Page 1894]
Obviously, the ardent devotion shown to Roman Catholic saints, and the Virgin Mary, completely fulfills this definition of "worship"! Furthermore, when you contemplate the scenario of a "saint" being able to hear simultaneous prayers from possibly hundreds of millions of Roman Catholic parishioners at any moment in time, is a feat that only a God Who is Omniscient, Omnipresent, and Omnipotent can possibly ever accomplish. Thus, by your very devotion and your prayers and your hopes for Intercession, you are making the saint to whom you are praying into a god in your life! You are violating the True Commandment #2, and the Catholic Church knows it, which is why they have Traditionally eliminated this commandment.
You may be angry with me now, and you may violently disregard my warnings now. But, one day, you will stand face-to-face with Jesus Christ! When He tells you that you lived your life in constant violation of True Commandment #2, you will be so shocked by the very face-to-face encounter with Jesus, you will not be able to open your mouth to tell Him how wrong He is when He tells you that He never agreed to set aside His commandment against creating and worshipping graven images!!
The Roman Catholic Church, and her many theologians, understand all this. You know they do, when they eliminate this prohibition against graven images. Now, when you turn to the actual Biblical text in this Catholic Bible quoted above, you get the full and correct text. In other words, the True Commandment #2 against carving and worshipping idols is there, big as life, in this Catholic Bible. Now, why would Catholics keep the actual text in, while taking it out of the full page listing of the Ten Commandments? Why would they lie when creating the full page listing? This is damnable, and shows their true intentions. The Catholic theologians who created this Bible know full well that 95% of their people will never actually read the text; rather, they will go to the full page listing of the Ten Commandments to read them. Or, they will learn the Ten Commandments in Catechism, which still teaches the "Traditional" Catholic Ten Commandments, with the True #2 missing.
In God's eyes, how serious is this practice of eliminating Scripture? The answer is that God views this editing of His Word most seriously. Consider the following Scripture:
1) Matthew 24:35 -- "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
2) Matthew 5:18 -- "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." If Jesus says that not one jot or tittle [period or punctuation mark] shall pass away until His Second Coming is accomplished, then how dare any mere men eliminate words which the Lord still considers valid?
3) Deuteronomy 4:2 -- "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."
4) Deuteronomy 12:32 -- "What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."
5) Proverbs 30:5-6 -- "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar." Did you notice that God calls a person a liar who adds to his word? The same is true for anyone who takes any words away. At this point, I need to remind you that almost all of the Roman Catholic Traditions of the Church is an "adding to" Scripture!! Thus, it is forbidden.
6) Revelation 22:18-19 -- "18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." Wow, this warning, from Jesus Christ Himself, is very heavy. He seems to be denying Heaven to anyone who adds to or takes away from His Words in Revelation. But, this warning is simply a restatement of these other warnings, as we have shared them with you, above.
Now, the response to these warnings is up to you. Will you heed our warnings that the Roman Catholic Church is a counterfeit "Christian" Church. Please read our many articles, and you will see such a pattern of "adding to" and "taking away" of Scripture, that you cannot help but conclude that the Roman Catholic Church is a false church.
Your eternal soul is at stake.
If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, but have come to realize His reality and want to accept His FREE Gift of Eternal Life, you can also do so now, in the privacy of your home. Once you accept Him as Savior, you are spiritually Born Again, and are as assured of Heaven as if you were already there. Then, you can rest assured that nothing will not hurt you spiritually. You will also know the greatest heart peace that the greatest God can give to one of His own children.
If you would like to become Born Again, and come to know this wonderful heart peace, turn to our Salvation Page now.
Return to What Saith Rome